SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2007

From:
Keith Lofstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2007 03:28:54 +0000

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 10:56:28AM -0600, Troy Dawson wrote:
> Yes, it should be.
> Right now I really really really wouldn't suggest it.  Not only have no
> bugs been worked out, it hasn't even been looked at.  Since names change
> and packages come and go before a release (I'm talking RHEL 5), it's not
> really worth our time to iron out any bugs except the installer seeing SL4.
> Just so you know, the installer does see S.L. 4 and gives you the option
> of upgrading if you wish.

Thanks for the info.  I attempted to do a local yum upgrade of SL4.4
with the local SL5-very-alpha rpms (on an expendable drive), and after
about an hour of dependency checking, there were about two dozen failed
dependencies.  I could probably eliminate half by tossing out some
unused 4.4 packages, but I think I will just wait until SL5 is farther
along.

I could put my observations and experiences (and output logs) with the
SL5 rpms, and with the RHEL5 beta 2 install, somewhere for the SL5 team
to look at, but I suspect there would be few surprises to the team.

BTW, there were some apparently intentional behavior changes in RHEL5
beta 2 install that I don't like, but I don't think SL5 should deviate
from the RHEL5 behavior because of one disgruntled user... :-/

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom          [log in to unmask]         Voice (503)-520-1993