SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

January 2007

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2007 11:24:15 -0600
Hi All,
I'm sorry I let this thread die before there was a resolution.  I was
busy there for a bit, and then just never got back to it.  I appologize
for that.

 From the sounds of things it sounds like we should do both a
kernel-module and a kdm plugin.  And if possible, have both in the same
plugin, since there will be alot of redundant code.

The idea's of using a stub sounds interesting, but since that seems like
it's going to need some development and testing time, how about we stay
with what is already developed, at least for now.

Troy

Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 11:51:10PM +0100, Stephan Wiesand wrote:
>> Yes, that seems feasible. I looked into the code, and I think the kmdl
>> plugin could be extended to deal with kernel-modules as well quite
>> easily. It uses a regular expression to identify kmdls, something like
>> (.*)-kmdl-.*, and by duplicating a few lines of code (the whole thing is
>> some 100 lines) in two subs, using a different regex - probably something
>> like kernel-module-(.*)-[^-]+-[^-+], it should work for both kmdls and
>> kernel-modules.
>>
>> Once at it, one could also add the missing kernel flavour (PAE) to the
>> list coded into the plugin (I think I fetched the most recent version,
>> from the EL5 ATRPMS repository, and it's missing).
>
> I'm welcoming patches, although the missing PAE and xen kernel
> flavours are trivial and not worth spenifn time on patching it. ;)

>> A message on scientific-linux-users today indicates that there may
>> be a problem with yumex if the kmdl plugin is installed. That's
>> unconfirmed, of course. And on SL5, we'll have pirut and may not need
>> yumex anymore. But then, has the kmdl plugin been tested together with
>> pirut? Pup? ...
>
> Yes, on FC6. There are some known troubles with FC6's yum, and fixing
> these will break the kmdl pluging for FC5 and RHEL4 downwards. Maybe
> one can keep two plugins, one for SL4 (3?) and one for SL5.
>
>> Yum is a moving target, as are kernel flavours. Maintaining a plugin is
>> a significant burden. And even more so if one considers possible
>> interaction with other tools.
>
> That's why it makes sense to unite forces. ATrpms will have to
> maintain the kmdl plugin. If SL uses the same semantics, kmdl macros,
> plugins etc can be comaintained.
>
>> So I've been pondering the thought of getting by without plugins, while
>> having the best of kmod/kmdl/kernel-module, without their drawbacks, and
>> without much overhead. And maybe it's possible, although I admit
>> it seems a little weird at first glance:
>
>> All at the cost of a trivial stub kmod per kernel-module.
>>
>> I guess someone's going to tell me now why this idea is crazy...
>
> No, I think the idea is basically OK, and it has been discussed in
> similar scope on fedora-packaging and/or atrpms-devel, but not as
> clear as in your proposal. It does have a couple of issues, though:
>
> - You will need a mechanism for supporting other than the "blessed"
>   kernel, so you still can't skip the plugins (but the idea is to make
>   the default procedure easier, granted).
>
> - And you will get an issue with custom kernels like the centosplus or
>   ATrpms' swsuspend2 kernel series which again ambiguate the idea of a
>   "latest" kernel, e.g. you would need a stub package for each of
>   them. But that's not what every user does, so it affects only a
>   smaller target group.
>
> - currently userland parts depend on virtual hooks to the kmdls (or
>   kernel-modules). For using the suggested mechanism, you would
> [...]

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group