SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

January 2007

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2007 11:59:20 -0600
Urs Beyerle wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A VERY FIRST ALPHA test release of LiveCD/DVD based on
> Scientific Linux 5 Alpha is now available for testing:
>
> ftp://ftp.psi.ch/psi/livecd/pub/5a
>
> - On the LiveDVD all Client/Workstation RPMs (except some devel
>   packages) are installed. Gnome is the default windows manager.
> - On the LiveCD KDE is the default windows manager.
> - For the moment there are no 64bit SL5a LiveCD/DVD available.
>
> More information can be found at http://linux.web.psi.ch/livecd
>
> Hope these LiveCDs are useful for people which want to test
> SL5 Alpha without installing it.
>
> Feedback is very welcome.
>
> Urs

Thank You Urs

I think the work you do on the live release is terrific.
So your site isn't overwhelmed, I have put this up on the main site at

ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/livecd/5alpha

Testing results
DVD
Tested both KDE and GNOME - didn't see any problems.
Opened up OpenOffice, thunderbird, firebird, evolution, konqueror (in
KDE) and then a random sample of smaller programs.  Didn't see any problems.

CD
Tested KDE - didn't see any problems.
Opened up OpenOffice, thunderbird, firebird, evolution, konqueror, and
then a random sample of smaller programs.  Didn't see any problems.

Looks like a good live edition of our alpha release.
Thanks
Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group