SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

January 2007

From:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2007 21:05:08 +0100
On Tue, 2 Jan 2007, Marc W. Mengel wrote:

> Howabout we do 3, and add some symlinks, ClientServer Client, etc. that all
> point to the common directory, so things that are *looking* for
> the RedHat-style path will find them, but everyone else can ignore them...
>
> Marc

Just in case it wasn't obvious from my reply to the alpha anouncement: I'm
very much in favour of 3.

The links Marc proposes may help in some cases, and are simple enough to
provide. I'm just not 100.00% sure they'd never cause any problem. Like
if it turns out the /Client etc. will become necessary - say, because TUV
starts shipping different kernels for Client and Server with Update 2. Or
for installations with or without the "Virtualization Option" purchased.
Of course that would throw up problems much harder to deal with than
repository structure and existing symlinks that would have to be replaced
by true directories.

Next on my list would be option 1. Ugly, and the split would be of no use
to SL, but it has the least potential for surprise. But see above: In all
cases I can actually imagine where we'd be longing for having gone with
this one, that won't be of much help unless the whole distribution - and not
just the repository - is split the same way as the upstream one. And I
guess (hope) that's not being discussed today?

Option 2 is least appealing to me. If the structure is changed at
all, why not go all the way and collapse everything into SL/RPMS.

  Stephan

--
Stephan Wiesand
  DESY - DV -