SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

January 2007

From:
Axel Thimm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2007 12:29:09 +0100
On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 08:41:49AM +0100, Jaroslaw Polok wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> Just one comment to Axel's very informative e-mail:
>
> >   new packages in the repo (note: each package has several flavour
> >   siblings):
> >   a) kernel-xen-2.6.20-1.1
> >   b) foo-kmdl-4-kernel-xen-2.6.20-1.1
> >   c) foo-kmdl-2.6.20xen-1.1-1.0-2
> >
> >   a) get coinstalled by conventional kernel "upgrading"
>
> OK.
>
> >   b) gets truly upgraded due to KEVR path
>
> OK.
>
> >   c) gets coinstalled as a dependency of b)
>
> ? for foo-kmdl-KEVR-EVR to be installed rather than upgraded
>   yum must treat it as one of 'installonlypkgs' (if I got this right) :
>
>   is this solved via yum patching or configuration option ?

No, that's not needed, yum/apt/smart etc see this already as a
different package:

foo-kmdl-KEVR-EVR
<-- name  -->

In the example above there is a new kernel which means a new KEVR
(rpm-newer than the previous one, but that doesn't matter), the
generated package in c) is a new package for rpm and all higher level
depsolvers.

So you don't even need to installonlypkg/AllowDuplicate mechanism from
yum/apt, which is a further bonus, even less specs to require from a
depsolver. In fact any new depsolver as simply written as possible
will have to support this scheme, because all that is required are
normal upgrades (not kernel-like "upgrades") and dependency resolution
for pulling in further required packages.

So even up2date, red-carpet and all that are supported.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net