SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

January 2007

From:
Axel Thimm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2007 22:14:26 +0100
On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 12:02:24PM -0600, Troy Dawson wrote:
> I have one question about the stub package.
> If the stub has
>   Requires: foo-kmdl-`uname -r`
> What happens when you update your kernel when you already have the stub
> installed?
> `uname -r` = 2.6.19-10.0.2
> yum update brings in kernel 2.6.19-10.0.3
> Unless you have a plugin, then it's not going to get the new kdml
> Or am I missing something?

The mechanism works as follows, there are three packages or better
said package types

o main package (userland): "foo-EVR"
  depends on the virtual dependency foo-kmdl-EVR
  (note: no <uname -r> part in this dependency)
o kmdls (kernel component): "foo-kmdl-`uname -r`-EVR"
  provides virtual dependency foo-kmdl-EVR
  requires foo-kmdl-4-<kernel series and flavour>
o kmdl stub: "foo-kmdl-4-<kernel series and flavour>-KEVR"
  (note: no EVR part)
  requires virtual dependency foo-kmdl-`uname -r latest`-EVR

Notes:
- There is an intended circular dependency between kmdl and
  kmdl-stubs. That way a user installing a kmdl will automatically get
  the automatic updates.
- The userland requires just any kmdl for any kernel
- kernel series are for example:
  - vendor kernel (+ flavours)
  - kernel-suspend2 (+ flavours)
  - kernel-desktop (+ flavours)
  - kernel-centosplus (+ flavours)
  - kernel-SL16k (+ flavours)
- Different kernel series may have completely different versioning,
  therefore they need their own kmdl stub
- A kernel upgrade will induce an upgrade of the kmdl stub, which in
  turn will pull in the required kmdl.

Example:

o Installed:
  kernel-xen-2.6.20-1
  foo-1.0-2
  foo-kmdl-4-kernel-xen-2.6.20-1
  foo-kmdl-2.6.20xen-1-1.0-2

o kernel upgrade: Release becomes 1.1

  new packages in the repo (note: each package has several flavour
  siblings):
  a) kernel-xen-2.6.20-1.1
  b) foo-kmdl-4-kernel-xen-2.6.20-1.1
  c) foo-kmdl-2.6.20xen-1.1-1.0-2

  a) get coinstalled by conventional kernel "upgrading"
  b) gets truly upgraded due to KEVR path
  c) gets coinstalled as a dependency of b)

o foo upgrade: EVR becomes 2.0-1

  new packages in the repo:
  a) foo-2.0-1
  b) foo-kmdl-2.6.20xen-1.1-2.0-1

  Both get upgraded by conventional EVR mechanics

So there is no plugin required. :)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net