SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2006

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2006 09:04:09 -0600
Hi Art,
That is a great list of hardware compatibility links.
I'm still going through them but the three I like the best are

Gentoo
Suse
Mandrake

Each for different reasons.

Gentoo - very nice, good explanations, very clean.
The only downside is that it looks like alot of work for each entry.  I
don't know if you would be able to, but for me, that's more work than I
have time to put in.
Suse - I like the pages that it brings up when you finally get to the
hardware.  It has alot of information, and a nice table of what versions
of suse the hardware has been tested on.
The downside is getting to each hardware.  There isn't a nice comparison
area.  It also would require more web setup than I currently would be
able to do.
Mandriva - I like their program harddrak.  Where average users can run
the program and click on what run's, what doesn't and rate the hardware.
  This gives them the ability to get tests on a very wide variety of
hardware.
The downside is that they don't really give the information out to the
general public in as good a format as others.

But, I'm also concerned, as the fedora folks were, with hardware
changing so fast, that it's alot of work for hardware that is only being
sold for 6 months or so, and then the data isn't really useful anymore.

Troy

Art Wildman wrote:
> Troy Dawson wrote:
>> Howdy,
>> Things have gotten to the point where our hardware compatibility web
>> area just has to get a complete overhaul.  The current layout isn't
>> useful, not easy to maintain ... well, you all know that.
>>
>> So I'm asking for everyone's help.
>> First off, can people send me links to websites where there is a good
>> linux hardware compatibility webpage/website.
>>
>> Second, if this is something that you would like to help with, either
>> in designing, testing, or ongoing maintenance, any help would be
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Troy
>

> I'll help where I can. A wiki would be well suited for this type of
> thing, though that presents it own maintenance problems (svn & trac
> might help). It's very tough to maintain a Hardware Compatibility List &
> might be a losing battle (the Fedora folks gave up at one time). The
> Gentoo Wiki site has some of the best examples I've seen and lots of
> other sites document various hardware issues & compatibility. Some sites
> are even dedicated to specific or bothersome hardware
> <http://www.linuxprinting.org>. It is also very subjective to the
> Architecture (IA64, PowerPC, Sparc...) and the Primary Purpose of the
> hardware (Cluster, Server, CAD workstation, webserver, dbase, laptop,
> pda...). Setting up an HA Cluster or Webserver is very different than
> setting up a MediaPC or Laptop.
>
> In keeping with SL's "main goal... to have everything compatible with
> Enterprise", I would point folks to the upstream vendor & focus on
> listing what improvements you've made to support any additional hardware
> in SL. If RH doesn't support it, SL cannot be expected to due to souce
> code limitations lagging new development by 12-18 months. Looking at
> what Fedora supports should give you an indication of what may be
> possible in future SL builds. If some hardware works using a Fedora
> LiveCD, it might be possible to get it to work with SL. Though, some
> things will just have to wait until new drivers or kernels are built and
> released by RHEL...
>
> Linux Hardware Compatibility Lists & Linux Drivers - (Updated, Detailed
> Listing of Hardware, Drivers & Compatibility docs...)
> http://www.linux-drivers.org/
>
> Red Hat Hardware Compatibility List - redhat.com
> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/hwcert/
> https://hardware.redhat.com/hwcert/
> http://enterprise.redhat.com/hcl/index.cgi?pagename=
>
> Red Hat Cluster Suite: Configuring and Managing a Cluster - Hardware
> Configuration
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/csgfs/browse/rh-cs-en/ch-hardware.html
>
> Is my hardware compatible with Fedora? - Fedora Wiki
> -
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAQ#head-640c24d1609de5de1e7955fc46743cc017e77d75
>
> Is there a certification program for hardware that works with Fedora? -
> Fedora Wiki
> [...]

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468