SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2006

From:
Art Wildman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2006 08:12:00 -0500
Ken Teh wrote:
> I asked a question earlier about wikis and your recommendations for
> wikis. After more reading and discussion, it seems to me that a wiki
> may not be quite what we are after.
>
> Essentially, what we need is some sort of groupware for a
> collaboration that
> is just beginning to get off the ground.  I gather from the collaboration
> that what they want is a web front-end to a central repository when
> they can
> archive stuff like meeting notes, detector design drawings, etc., over
> the
> lifetime of the project.   After hearing your recommendations, I tried
> out
> mediawiki.  It's my impression that wikis are more suitable for on-going
> discussions of topics.
>
> It's been suggested to me that a CMS may be more appropriate.  So, once
> again, I asked for your recommendations and advice.  A brief
> comparison of
> the two --- wiki versus cms --- and your recommendation for a cms system.
>
> Thanks! Ken

Visit the OpenSourceCMS site & pick you poison, there are some great
tips there & you can demo the requirements, look and feel you desire...
there are so many CMS/Wiki tools. Doing some research about the CMS
maintenance, dependencies, dbases, revision control, apache config and
authentication based on your expertise are critical to site once it
becomes live & providing an intuitive environment for user
collaboration. If you need Advanced features like Email integration (ala
MS-Exchange/Lotus Notes), then there are some proprietary options you
may want to look at...

Table of Windows software Replacements in Linux - (Find) "Email / PIM /
Groupware server"
http://www.demosoftware.net/#5

OpenSourceCMS - CMS Ratings - Demo CMS & Wikis
http://www.opensourcecms.com/

I have been playing around with e107 & like it for it's style & ease of
use, though it really depends on you needs. Some are setup for
development, general office intranet, or education environments. Good
Luck. -Art@JAX

--- CMS Portal -Wiki - Blog - Project/RevisionControl - Groupware -
Calendar - Gallery---

OpenSourceCMS - e107 - http://e107.org
http://www.opensourcecms.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=133

OpenSourceCMS - GuppY - Lite CMS