SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2006

From:
Art Wildman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2006 08:27:16 -0500
Troy Dawson wrote:
> Howdy,
> Things have gotten to the point where our hardware compatibility web
> area just has to get a complete overhaul.  The current layout isn't
> useful, not easy to maintain ... well, you all know that.
>
> So I'm asking for everyone's help.
> First off, can people send me links to websites where there is a good
> linux hardware compatibility webpage/website.
>
> Second, if this is something that you would like to help with, either
> in designing, testing, or ongoing maintenance, any help would be
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Troy

I'll help where I can. A wiki would be well suited for this type of
thing, though that presents it own maintenance problems (svn & trac
might help). It's very tough to maintain a Hardware Compatibility List &
might be a losing battle (the Fedora folks gave up at one time). The
Gentoo Wiki site has some of the best examples I've seen and lots of
other sites document various hardware issues & compatibility. Some sites
are even dedicated to specific or bothersome hardware
<http://www.linuxprinting.org>. It is also very subjective to the
Architecture (IA64, PowerPC, Sparc...) and the Primary Purpose of the
hardware (Cluster, Server, CAD workstation, webserver, dbase, laptop,
pda...). Setting up an HA Cluster or Webserver is very different than
setting up a MediaPC or Laptop.

In keeping with SL's "main goal... to have everything compatible with
Enterprise", I would point folks to the upstream vendor & focus on
listing what improvements you've made to support any additional hardware
in SL. If RH doesn't support it, SL cannot be expected to due to souce
code limitations lagging new development by 12-18 months. Looking at
what Fedora supports should give you an indication of what may be
possible in future SL builds. If some hardware works using a Fedora
LiveCD, it might be possible to get it to work with SL. Though, some
things will just have to wait until new drivers or kernels are built and
released by RHEL...

Linux Hardware Compatibility Lists & Linux Drivers - (Updated, Detailed
Listing of Hardware, Drivers & Compatibility docs...)
http://www.linux-drivers.org/

Red Hat Hardware Compatibility List - redhat.com
http://bugzilla.redhat.com/hwcert/
https://hardware.redhat.com/hwcert/
http://enterprise.redhat.com/hcl/index.cgi?pagename=

Red Hat Cluster Suite: Configuring and Managing a Cluster - Hardware
Configuration
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/csgfs/browse/rh-cs-en/ch-hardware.html

Is my hardware compatible with Fedora? - Fedora Wiki
 -
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAQ#head-640c24d1609de5de1e7955fc46743cc017e77d75
Is there a certification program for hardware that works with Fedora? -
Fedora Wiki
 -
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAQ#head-94f4035f72316a578296b54b563161aeff474e54
"Because Fedora improvements occur very rapidly and consistently,
including hardware support, a Hardware Compatibility List was deemed too
time-consuming and not worthwhile. Alternative methods of tracking
working hardware have been suggested, but the consensus is that manually
maintaining a complete list is unfeasible."

Fedora HCL
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/HCL
"We are always trying to find ways to improve Fedora's hardware support,
and welcome constructive feedback. A compatibility list is maintained
for Red Hat Enterprise Linux at http://bugzilla.redhat.com/hcl. It will
closely parallel Fedora's compatibility."

SUSE LINUX: hardware compatibility list
http://hardwaredb.suse.de/

Mandriva Linux - Compatible Hardware Database
http://www.mandriva.com/en/hardware/

Linux Hardware Compatibility HOWTO
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO/index.html
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/hardware.html

I have always admired the Gentoo Wiki Docs, very flexible, well
moderated and updated...
http://gentoo-wiki.com/Index:Hardware
HOWTO Gentoo Install on Software RAID mirror and LVM2 on top of RAID
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Gentoo_Install_on_Software_RAID_mirror_and_LVM2_on_top_of_RAID
Gentoo Handbook
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/2006.1/index.xml
Gentoo Linux Documentation -- Linux hardware stability guide, Part 1&2
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/articles/hardware-stability-p2.xml
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/articles/hardware-stability-p1.xml
Gentoo Linux Documentation -- Linux/SPARC64 Sun Hardware Compatibility List
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/sparc/sunhw.xml

The following websites provide more detailed information on Linux
support for various types of hardware:
Graphics adaptors - http://wiki.x.org/wiki/FAQ
Audio adaptors - http://www.alsa-project.org/
Printers - http://www.linuxprinting.org/
Digital cameras - http://www.gphoto.org/
Scanners and imaging devices - http://www.sane-project.org/
Modems - http://linmodems.org/
PCMCIA cards - http://prism54.org/newdrivers.html,
http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Hardware,
http://ralink.rapla.net/, http://zd1211.ath.cx/
Linux Network Drivers - http://ftp.sun.ac.za/ftp/pub/documentation/network/
http://www.linux-drivers.org/network.html
Wireless Cards -
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsSupported
Serial ATA (SATA) Linux hardware/driver status report -
http://linux-ata.org/driver-status.html
Linux BIOS - http://www.linuxbios.org/index.php/Main_Page
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-bios.html
Linux USB Project - http://www.linux-usb.org/

Hardware devices that support GNU/Linux & Free Software
http://www.fsf.org/resources/hw
http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/hardware.html

-HTH Art@JAX