SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2006

From:
Ron Rechenmacher <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2006 20:52:17 -0600
... could be on the same node (different X servers) or from different node
(same home dir via nfs).
Currently, I've tried both kde and gnome and have had problems although I have
not done any configuration to address the issue.
The issue/situation is this:
I want to be able to log onto a physical console and also (while still logged
onto the physical console) start a vncserver (same user, hence same home dir
where configuration is stored) which will have the same (kde or gnome)
desktop/window manager as the physical console.

A similar situation would be if I wanted to control a set of operator consoles.
A group of computers all of which mount a group/operator account home area
from some nfs server (so it's the same home area access from several
computers). On each of the systems, an operator logs on using a group/common
account.  The goal would be that all operator consoles have the same look (i.e
the same Desktop icons) and if an icon is create on one console it will show
up on all consoles. Using kde, I've seen this happen, but I've also seen some
wackiness.
Perhaps the answer is "you can't do that -- you'll have to have a periodic job
syncing configuration directories that are per-node (or something like that)"

I know that at least part of the kde environment creates and uses the _file_:
.DCOPserver_${HOSTNAME}_${DISPLAY} but I don't know if this is applicable.

Anyway, does anyone out there have an experience with this situation or
similar?

Oh, one answer could be to use a less sophisticate desktop/window manager
environment (i.e fvwm2) and not use icons but just have
desktop-click-pop-up-menus.

Thanks,
Ron