SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2006

From:
Dr R L Oswald <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dr R L Oswald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2006 11:44:57 +0000
I am in process of evaluating SL4.4 for an HPC cluster procurement and
have set up small test system. This has no firewall enabled.

I note that by using nmap,  I can see that I have two ports open that I
was not expecting to see

824/tcp    open        unknown
4321/tcp   open        rwhois

I can get a response out of each port using telnet. I have
unsuccessfully searched both your mailing archives and the system itself
for any place where the rwhois service is being started from. I can see
no daemon for it so it is perhaps implemented as a kernel service? The
unnamed port 824 is a mystery.

Can anyone shed any light on these open ports please ?

Les Oswald
Cranfield University