SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2006

From:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2006 15:03:04 -0600
On Thu, 9 Nov 2006, Raymond Frey wrote:

> Hi, Two questions which I couldn't find on the archives...
> 1) I am told SL4 does not work on my new core duo platform because there
> is not a working jmicron driver for the CD/DVD writer. Is there any
> experience with this?

It is not a issue with the "core duo" , it is a issue with the ide chipset
that the motherboard vendor added for ide.

For example there is a Intel motherboard the uses a different chipset than
the jmicron and it works fine.

> 2) Assuming the above is a solved problem, how does one obtain the
> installation CDs for SL4 ?
> Thanks!

The only thing that I know to try is to use

  all-generic-ide

at the install boot prompt.  And then again in the /etc/grub.conf .

This is what is needed for the Intel motherboard.

-Connie Sieh