SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2006

From:
Karl Misselt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karl Misselt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2006 10:40:01 -0700
Connie Sieh wrote:
> Can you send a lspci of this system.
>
> On Wed, 1 Nov 2006, Karl Misselt
> wrote:
>

>> Kuo-Rong Lei wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, all:
>>> We get a new PC use ASUS P5B motherboard and it's chipset is Intel P965.
>>> Now we try to install SL4.4 , but system can not find hard disk to
>>> partition to install.
>>> Is there any one know how to install ??
>>> Thanks. Kite
>>>
>> sorry to follow up on my own reply - the ASUS P5B looks to have
>> a JMicron JMB363 SATA controller onboard. I've no idea if there's
>>

> I guess I knew that the JMicron Ide controller did not work but did not
> know about the SATA not working.

Looks like the JMB363 SATA controller has support in 2.6.16-x kernels:
http://www.jmicron.com/JMB363.html
Makes me think it might be possible to build the driver and load it on
install.
Or wait until it gets patched into vendor kernels.
-K

| Karl A. Misselt                             Office: Steward 254  |
| Steward Observatory                          Phone: 520-626-0196 |
| University of Arizona                          FAX: 520-621-9555 |
| Tucson, AZ 85721-0065                     [log in to unmask] |
| "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in   |
|  overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison                 |