SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2006

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2006 09:06:44 -0600
Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> Art Wildman wrote:
>>
>> Feel free to reject this, but I would rather see your valuable time
>> spend on more important things like OpenAFS and WinAD interoperability
>> or Filesystem Encryption for laptops than compiling a HCL that will
>> never be manageable & suffer bit-rot like so many others.
>
> As someone else did say in the past about a wiki, I agree that they
> spend more time on these topics that you are mentioning (and especially
> I favor file system encryption), while the requirement of a hardware
> compatibility list can become feasible by using a wiki, and letting
> users fill in their hardware that works out of the box, or the hardware
> that does not work, and provide links for 3rd party drivers by ourselves
> if they exist.

Right now I'm open to any suggestion, even a wiki.

Here is some idea's I have.

First *actually a different subject, but Art brought it up*
Make an SL_ rpm that sends a machine information to "The Linux Counter"
  all the user has to do is install it.  It would be purely voluntary.
They could customize it if they wish.
But, that doesn't real do us any good for the hardware web pages.

Second
I would like like something semi-automated.  Basically an rpm that
people could install that will have a script.
The script will do a hardware inventory (either we write one, or use
lshw, ocsinvnetory, modified linux counter script, whatever).
The script will then ask the user some questions, basically about what
worked what didn't, if they had to load extra drivers during the
install, or after, that sort of thing.
This data would then be uploaded to a database, mail list, whatever is
decided.
Even if a majority of people don't say anything, or just say "it works",
that's better than no information at all.  And there will be the few
that actually do give good reports, and those would be able to be
displayed more prominantly.
This rpm and script would be purely voluntary.  I don't want anyone to
accuse us of spying on anyone.

Third
I think some type of web page/wiki site, whatever is decided, should be
made, so that people can do their own reviews, independant, or in
conjunction with the semi-automated hardware review.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468