SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2006

From:
Ioannis Vranos <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ioannis Vranos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 2006 14:38:46 +0200
Art Wildman wrote:

> Feel free to reject this, but I would rather see your valuable time
> spend on more important things like OpenAFS and WinAD interoperability
> or Filesystem Encryption for laptops than compiling a HCL that will
> never be manageable & suffer bit-rot like so many others.

As someone else did say in the past about a wiki, I agree that they spend more time on
these topics that you are mentioning (and especially I favor file system encryption),
while the requirement of a hardware compatibility list can become feasible by using a
wiki, and letting users fill in their hardware that works out of the box, or the hardware
that does not work, and provide links for 3rd party drivers by ourselves if they exist.