SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2006

From:
Art Wildman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 2006 07:15:40 -0500
Troy Dawson wrote:
> Hi Art,
> That is a great list of hardware compatibility links.
> I'm still going through them but the three I like the best are
>
> Gentoo
> Suse
> Mandrake
>
> Each for different reasons.
>
> Gentoo - very nice, good explanations, very clean.
> The only downside is that it looks like alot of work for each entry.
> I don't know if you would be able to, but for me, that's more work
> than I have time to put in.
> Suse - I like the pages that it brings up when you finally get to the
> hardware.  It has alot of information, and a nice table of what
> versions of suse the hardware has been tested on.
> The downside is getting to each hardware.  There isn't a nice
> comparison area.  It also would require more web setup than I
> currently would be able to do.
> Mandriva - I like their program harddrak.  Where average users can run
> the program and click on what run's, what doesn't and rate the
> hardware.  This gives them the ability to get tests on a very wide
> variety of hardware.
> The downside is that they don't really give the information out to the
> general public in as good a format as others.
>
> But, I'm also concerned, as the fedora folks were, with hardware
> changing so fast, that it's alot of work for hardware that is only
> being sold for 6 months or so, and then the data isn't really useful
> anymore.
>
> Troy

Thanks, Glad you found the links useful. Most are better & more customer
support friendly than the USV' site. It occurred to me, that the
computers should do this work for us & dump hardware sysinfo into a
database when getting updates or something. Not really a new idea at all
(Windows Update, RHN Profiles and other OS's do this too) and projects
like The Linux Counter <http://counter.li.org> did it voluntarily via
forms back in the day... On one hand I despise these things that call
home & report info back to the mothership, but that is the only way I
can see to handle the scale & automatically report what hardware works
or doesn't & dump it into a searchable dbase. Once the info is in a
dbase it can be managed & presented in numerous ways. IIRC there are
tools that already do this & it could be voluntary at the end of a post
install script or yum.repo update, open-sourced & filtered for any
private info (ip, hostname) for those concerned. IMO, its a small price
to pay for support & bandwidth.

Debian GNU/Linux device driver check page ***very cool***
http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/

Feel free to reject this, but I would rather see your valuable time
spend on more important things like OpenAFS and WinAD interoperability
or Filesystem Encryption for laptops than compiling a HCL that will
never be manageable & suffer bit-rot like so many others.

HardwareLiSter - ezIX - http://www.ezix.org/software/lshw.html
Hardware lister - Use lshw to get detailed information on the hardware
configuration of your Linux system - MDLog:/sysadmin
http://www.ducea.com/2006/06/03/use-lshw-hardware-lister-to-get-detailed-information-on-the-hardware-configuration-of-your-linux-system/
http://www.ducea.com/2006/06/03/install-lshw-on-rhel-fedora-centos/
Hardware lister - DAG lshw RPM packages for Red HatFedora
http://dag.wieers.com/packages/lshw/

# rpm -qi lshw
lshw is a small tool to provide detailed informaton on the hardware
configuration of the machine. It can report exact memory configuration,
firmware version, mainboard configuration, CPU version and speed, cache
configuration, bus speed, etc. on DMI-capable x86 systems and on some
PowerPC machines (PowerMac G4 is known to work).

Information can be output in plain text, XML or HTML.
http://www.ezix.org/software/lshw.html

http://www.google.com/search?q=linux+hardware+database
Hehe lots of old projects... no data though:
http://www.linuxhardwaredatabase.net/
http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=1999-05-20-008-05-NW-HW

Ahh here is some linux hardware databases, some which even seems current...

Phoronix | GNU/Linux Compatible Hardware (only 300+)
http://www.phoronix.com/lch/

Linux Incompatibility List *** pretty cool too ***
http://www.leenooks.com/
Linux Incompatibility List - Marvell Yukon 88e8050 PCI-E ASF Gigabit
ethernet controller
http://www.leenooks.com/Marvell+Yukon+88e8050+PCI%2dE+ASF+Gigabit+ethernet+controller

Linux Hardware Compatibility Lists & Linux Drivers ***
http://www.linux-drivers.org/

Loads of Linux Links: Hardware
http://loll.sourceforge.net/linux/links/Hardware/index.html

Linux Documentation Project Links: Hardware
http://tldp.org/links/hw.html

-HTH Art@JAX