SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2006

From:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2006 15:52:56 +0000
On Thu, 30 Nov 2006, Jean-Michel Barbet wrote:

> Jon Peatfield wrote:
>
>> >   and we re-install grub :
>> >
>> >   /sbin/grub-install /dev/sda
>>

>>  You don't need to do this just because you are updating grub.conf.  grub
>>  understands the fs...
>
> Thank you Jon and all the people who answered.
>
> Yes you are right, no need to execute grub-install as I thought.
> So, no more problem.
>
>>  Well you could give it a suitable mapping but why not install a later
>>  version of SL.
>
> We will soon move to SL4 on the whole park of workstations but before
> that we may still have to install a few SL302 to keep the park
> homogenous.

Just switching to a later version of SL3 will help a lot since the setup
will then support quite a lot of newer hardware and since I assume you are
applying security updates you are almost there anyway...

Ok, there are a bunch of 'bugfix' updates too but nothing too serious.
We are just going through the upgrade from 307 to 308 -- we have been
testing 308 on a few machines and will probably roll it out next week.

That update -- excluding security updates we have already applied -- is
about 100 packages given what we install.  So far no surprises except we
discovered that a handful of 307 machines had packages we hadn't intended
to install -- a change in something had pulled in up2date (etc) in the
last 30-40 installs we had done, those are now explicitly '-' in our
kickstart configs rather than just not being listed at all.

We have SL4 running on a few servers and test boxes (it works great) but
havn't yet decided whether to roll it out on all desktops -- the Gnome/KDE
stuff is quite different so having both for a while would confuse some
users -- or just go straight to SL5.  Which we do depends largely on how
quickly we can set things up for testing SL5 when it is released.  Our
next big upgrade will happen in July so we may not have enough time to
test/configure SL5...

I have some RHEL5-beta isos I have been meaning to look at...

--
Jon Peatfield,  Computer Officer,  DAMTP,  University of Cambridge
Mail:  [log in to unmask]     Web:  http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/