SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2006

From:
Paul Jochum <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Jochum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2006 13:53:19 -0600
Hi All

My Questions
==========
1) Does anyone know how the XFS filesystem has changed between SL3 and SL4?
2) Are there any options, switches, compiler changes to have XFS behave
in SL4 like it did in SL3?

Background
=========

For the last 2 years, I have been running a number of NFS servers on
SL3.0.5/i386, with the data served from an XFS filesystem, and they have
been running smoothly.  I recently received a new set of AMD boxes on
which I have been installing SL4.4 (I have tried both i386 and x86_64).
What I am finding, is that the XFS filesystem on SL4.4 (for both i386
and x86_64) behaves differently than it did in SL 3.0.5.

My Test
======
I am performing a gmake build from a build server, with the source files
coming over NFS from the NFS servers.  If the NFS server uses SL3.0.5
with XFS, the build succeeds.  If the NFS server uses SL4.4 with XFS, my
build fails, but if I change that same partition on the NFS server to be
ext3 instead of XFS, than the build succeeds (just like it did under 3.0.5).

Tested Scenarios
============

NFS box running SL3.0.5 with XFS -> build succeeds
NFS box running SL4.4/i386 with XFS -> build fails
NFS box running SL4.4/x86_64 with XFS -> build fails
NFS box running SL4.4/x86_64 with ext3 -> build succeeds

So, what changed between SL3 and SL4, and can I change it back, or do I
need to move to ext3?

thanks,

Paul Jochum
[log in to unmask] (for 2 more days)