SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2006

From:
Karl Misselt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karl Misselt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2006 08:07:04 -0700
Kuo-Rong Lei wrote:
> Hi, all:
> We get a new PC use ASUS P5B motherboard and it's chipset is Intel P965.
> Now we try to install SL4.4 , but system can not find hard disk to
> partition to install.
> Is there any one know how to install ??
> Thanks. Kite
I suspect that it's not the chip set per se. I have a machine with an
Intel P965 Express Core 2 Duo MB (Intel P965 Express chipset)
and was able to install SL4.4 on that one - the optical drive was not
recognized, and the onboard net and sound needed newer drivers,
but the hard drives were recognized. I assume your issue is with
the SATA controller; if you know what SATA controller is onboard
(I just glanced at the Intel site and it wasn't immediately obvious),
you may be able to make a driver disk for it. You can always grab
Fedora Core 5 or 6 install disks and see if the drives are recognized.
If so, find out what SATA controller you have and what version of
the driver works and then try and make a driver disk for your SL4.4
install.
-Karl