SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2006

From:
Miles O'Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miles O'Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Nov 2006 11:09:54 -0600
Jean-Michel Barbet said...

|We have a weird problem and I wonder if someone else came accross the
|same :

|- we install SL3.02 on Dell Optiplex GX280 equipped with SATA disks.
|   they boot OK

|- then we execute a small script that defines a grub password for
|   modifying kernel parameters at boot time :
|
|   the file /etc/grub.conf is modified this way :
|
|   sed -e "s/splashimage/password --md5 ${MD5PASSWD}\nsplashimage/g" \
|   < grub.conf  > grub.conf.new
|   mv grub.conf.new grub.conf

The real grub.conf file is in /boot/grub ;
/etc/grub.conf is just a sym link.  So
you aren't touching the real grub.conf
(I just went through the same thing).

|   and we re-install grub :
|
|   /sbin/grub-install /dev/sda

|=> We get an error message when executing /sbin/grub-install /dev/sda
|    saying that it is not defined in BIOS

|=> The workstation is then unable to boot like if the MBR had been
|    corrupted. The string "GRUB" is displayed and the boot process
|    stops here.

We never got 302 to work properly with SATA drives;
try 304 or later.

-Miles