SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

October 2006

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2006 09:36:07 -0500
First off, there is a new SL_firefox_parentlock_fix in the testing area.
  I messed up a bit on my update, but I've fixed the fix, and double
checked it.  It's at
ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/40rolling/testing/i386/RPMS/browsers/SL_firefox_parentlock_fix-1.0-7.noarch.rpm

But here's a problem.
It wasn't working for me today, getting the usual pop-up box that says
"Thunderbird is already running, but is not responding.  To open a new
window, you must first close the existing Thunderbird process, or
restart your system."

So, I check my script, find the bug in it (which is now fixed), fix the
bug, and ... the same thing happen's.  Same pop-up box before
thunderbird fails.

So I put debug statements into my S01parentlock script, and found that I
actually am removing the .parentlock file, only to have it made again.
Here is some output

--looking at the file by hand
-- before I run thunderbird

bash-3.00$ date
Wed Oct  4 08:55:55 CDT 2006
bash-3.00$ ls -lh .parentlock
-rw-r--r--  1 dawson oss 0 Oct  4 08:54 .parentlock

--debug output from S01parentlock --
--I look to make sure it has found the right directory
--I then do an ls of the .parentlock before I remove it
--I then do an ls of the .parentlock after I remove it

**************************
Wed Oct  4 08:56:04 CDT 2006
default/jtpdnzp2.slt
/afs/fnal.gov/files/home/room2/dawson/.thunderbird/default/jtpdnzp2.slt/.parentlock
removed parentlock
ls: default/jtpdnzp2.slt/.parentlock: No such file or directory
**************************
Wed Oct  4 08:56:04 CDT 2006
default/jtpdnzp2.slt
/afs/fnal.gov/files/home/room2/dawson/.thunderbird/default/jtpdnzp2.slt/.parentlock
removed parentlock
ls: default/jtpdnzp2.slt/.parentlock: No such file or directory

--looking at the file by hand
-- after I run thunderbird (and it failed)

bash-3.00$ date
Wed Oct  4 08:56:10 CDT 2006
bash-3.00$ ls -lh .parentlock
-rw-r--r--  1 dawson oss 0 Oct  4 08:56 .parentlock

I do have an 'strace -f' if anyone is curious.

In the end, I remove the .parentlock file by hand, and then it worked.
Since it's my regular e-mail client, I had to get some work done.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468