SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

October 2006

From:
Axel Thimm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2006 23:44:12 +0100
On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 11:44:52AM -0600, Steven Timm wrote:
> --
> Steven C. Timm, Ph.D  (630) 840-8525  [log in to unmask]
> http://home.fnal.gov/~timm/
> Fermilab Computing Div/Core Support Services Dept./Scientific Computing
> Section
> Assistant Group Leader, Farms and Clustered Systems Group
> Lead of Computing Farms Team

Steve, there is no external kernel module support for kernels 2.6 at
lm_sensors. The only way to do that is by patching the kernel and even
that is not officially supported, it is just the easiest way to get it
done. So ATrpms cannot offer kmdls for 2.6.

As discussed on the lm_sensors list, you'll probably just need to
outline to RH that the lm_sensors patch in the kernel src.rpm needs
updating (see the bz I posted on the lm_sensors' list). That's how it
worked until now and it seemed to work fine (other than havingto wait
until the next update release, but there are interim kernels w/o a QA
stamp available, too)

> Does any scientific-linux based site out there actually
> have lm_sensors 2.9.x or 2.10.x working in combination
> with an SL4-based Enterprise kernel as distributed by our dear Upstream
> Vendor? If so, how? lm_sensors list is saying it can't be done.

No, we said that it *can* be done by someone who understands some C
and wants to invest some time to backport the patches to 2.6.9. It
just cannot be done out-of-the-box from the sources like it does for
2.4 kernels.

> Steve Timm
>

> On Thu, 26 Jan 2006, Maarten Ballintijn wrote:
>
> >Hi Steve,
> >
> >I am using :
> >
> >i2c-kmdl-2.4.21-37.ELsmp-2.9.2-3.el3.at.x86_64
> >lm_sensors-2.9.2-42.el3.at.x86_64
> >lm_sensors-kmdl-2.4.21-37.ELsmp-2.9.2-42.el3.at.x86_64
> >
> >from the ATrpms repository on our Opterons.
> >
> >Cheers,
> >
> >Maarten.
> >
> >Steven Timm wrote:
> >>The 2.6.9 series of kernels, as distributed by our dear
> >>Upstream Vendor and recompiled by us, are distributed with
> >>lm_sensors 2.8.7, which is a deprecated version.  It works OK
> >>for older hardware but for the newer hardware, any of the
> >>new 64-bit boards, it doesn't have the chip modules needed
> >>to support them, nor the underlying newer i2c routines
> >>on which those chip modules depend.
> >>
> >>Has anyone found an easy workaround for this?  It is a lot
> >>different now that the i2c is integrated into the main
> >>kernel source.  In 2.4 kernels you could just compile all
> >>the modules fresh and tack them on.  Now you have to
> >>patch out some stuff and put in other stuff.  If anyone
> >>has already done this it could save us here at Fermilab a
> >>lot of work.  (P.S. I already put out this query
> >>to the lm_sensors mailing list and got nothing).
> >>
> >>Steve
> >

> --
> Steven C. Timm, Ph.D  (630) 840-8525  [log in to unmask]
> http://home.fnal.gov/~timm/
> Fermilab Computing Div/Core Support Services Dept./Scientific Computing
> Section
> Assistant Group Leader, Farms and Clustered Systems Group
> Lead of Computing Farms Team

--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net