SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2006

From:
Michael Hannon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Hannon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2006 11:19:52 -0700
Troy Dawson wrote:
> Hi Mike,
> I sorta thought that someone on this list was running the imap server
> that comes with S.L..  It's not looking like it.
> I currently haven't ever run it, so I don't know of any downfalls, but a
> quick google (RHEL 4 imap) turns up a few things.  It looks like they
> changed the actual imap server.
>
> http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/postfix/2006-09/0041.html
>
> RedHat has a very brief blurb on it at
>
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/ref-guide/ch-email.html
>

> It's a bit odd in that it also says "here's some other imap clients and
> servers" almost like they expect people to not use the default one that
> comes with RHEL.
>
> I wish I was able to be more helpful.  I hope that gets you started.

Hi, Troy.  I did get one or two useful replies off-list.  The gist of
the story is that the Cyrus IMAP set-up is powerful and flexible but way
too complicated for our relatively simple needs.  Cyrus can use a
variety of authentication methods.  You can have a Cyrus IMAP account
without having a linux login -- but such accounts have to be maintained
separately, of course.  Cyrus appears to store mail in /var/spool/imap
(or similar), rather than in the canonical /var/spool/mail location.
These are all needless complications in our environment.

I'm sure that once this message hits the list, some Cyrus advocate will
come out of the woodwork and tell me that all of those things can be
easily configured away.  Doesn't matter.  We turned off Cyrus and turned
on dovecot, and that just worked.

Thanks for following up on this.

					- Mike

--
Michael Hannon            mailto:[log in to unmask]
Dept. of Physics          530.752.4966