SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2006

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2006 09:54:47 -0500
Hi Mike,
I sorta thought that someone on this list was running the imap server
that comes with S.L..  It's not looking like it.
I currently haven't ever run it, so I don't know of any downfalls, but a
quick google (RHEL 4 imap) turns up a few things.  It looks like they
changed the actual imap server.

http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/postfix/2006-09/0041.html

RedHat has a very brief blurb on it at

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/ref-guide/ch-email.html

It's a bit odd in that it also says "here's some other imap clients and
servers" almost like they expect people to not use the default one that
comes with RHEL.

I wish I was able to be more helpful.  I hope that gets you started.

Troy

Michael Hannon wrote:
> Hello.  We just upgraded one of our servers from RH 3.0.3 (IA32) to SL
> 4.3 (x86_64 -- Opteron).
>
> We're having serious problems trying to check mail on the new system.
> Local clients, such as mutt or pine, work just fine.  But checking for
> mail via IMAP from, say, Thunderbird or Squirrel Mail, always fails with
> some variant of "Mailbox does not exist" or "Invalid mailbox name" message.
>
> We don't see any interesting error messages in the log files that
> correspond to the IMAP failures.
>
> The system in question is an NIS and NFS server for client systems in a
> small classroom, by the way.
>
> I notice that the IMAP server in SL 4.3 now runs as a separate daemon. I
> believe it was started out of xinetd in RH 3.  Perhaps I've simply
> overlooked some configuration setting for the new daemon?
>
> I'd appreciate any help you can provide.  Thanks.
>
>                     - Mike

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468