SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2006

From:
"Robert E. Blair" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert E. Blair
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2006 08:29:00 -0500

I don;t know if it is related, but I fought this battle with a much more
recent kernel (ACPI issues made me do it) on a Core 2 Duo running
x86_64.  The solution in my case was the "notsc" option at boot.  My
fuzzy understanding of this is that in dual cores the two cpu clock
registers are not always in sync and this causes odd timer behavior when
flipping back and forth between cpu's.

Christoph P. Kukulies wrote:
> We are observing a strange effect here under X11 with a 2.4.21-47.EL kernel.
> The keyboard repeats single keystrokes in a very unpleasant manner.
> I first thought that it was an issue that can be passed by by setting
> xset -r and then xset -r rate 400 30 but after short it turned out that
> the problem did not go away with that. Motherboard is an ASUS A8N-E.
>

> processor       : 0
> vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
> cpu family      : 15
> model           : 43
> model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
> stepping        : 1
> cpu MHz         : 2010.338
> cache size      : 512 KB
> fdiv_bug        : no
> hlt_bug         : no
> f00f_bug        : no
> coma_bug        : no
> fpu             : yes
> fpu_exception   : yes
> cpuid level     : 1
> wp              : yes
> flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
> mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext lm
> 3dnowext 3dnow
> bogomips        : 4010.80
>
> Anyone having an idea what to do? I also tried a redhat-config-keyboard
> to no avail. Other colleages were reporting the same problem. Also
> a BIOS issue could reportedly be the cause. (Typematic feature comes to
> mind - don't know at the moment whether this MB has this feature in its
> BIOS. Will try that probably next).
>
> --
> Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kukulies (at) rwth-aachen.de

- --
Robert E. Blair, Room E277, Building 362
Argonne National Laboratory (High Energy Physics Division)
9700 South Cass Avenue, Argonne, IL 60439, USA
Phone: (630)-252-7545  FAX: (630)-252-5782
GnuPG Public Key: http://www.hep.anl.gov/reb/key.asc