SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2006

From:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2006 20:24:47 +1000
Hi,

> With the latest SL kernel, kernel-2.6.9-42.0.2.EL, we have a P4
> machine which has suddenly started printing out:
>
> APIC error on CPU0: 60(60)
> APIC error on CPU0: 60(60)
>
> This is the CPU:
>
> processor       : 0
> vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
> cpu family      : 15
> model           : 2
> model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.20GHz
> stepping        : 4
> cpu MHz         : 2200.079
> cache size      : 512 KB
> fdiv_bug        : no
> hlt_bug         : no
> f00f_bug        : no
> coma_bug        : no
> fpu             : yes
> fpu_exception   : yes
> cpuid level     : 2
> wp              : yes
> flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge
> mca cmov patpse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm
> bogomips        : 4402.81
>
> This is on an Intel D845EBG2 motherboard with the latest BIOS.
>
> Has anyone seen anything similar? Does it matter, and is it worth
> fixing the problem with noapic or other options? I haven't seen any
> other problems with the system.

I used to get these errors on a particular server all the time, it was Dual
AMD Athlon XP 2400+. They'd come up frequently, and then after a few months
the box would black screen and have to be cold booted.

It would do this every 2-3 months, I could use noapic to turn it off and not
have problems with the server, but the server was used to detect temperatures
etc in the server room (at that time) so I lived with it.

Michael.