SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2006

From:
Art Wildman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2006 00:00:53 -0400
Miles O'Neal wrote:
> We're still stuck with SL3 because of app support.
> More and more we're needing drivers that aren't
> there by default.  But a driver diskette is no
> longer an option, partly because of size, but
> mostly because some of the compute farm systems
> don't have room for a floppy (and the USB drivers
> aren't there).
>
> I haven't been able to find anything definitive,
> so I'm asking here.
>
> 1) What does a driver CDROM looks like?  I'm
>    hoping it's just like a driver diskette in
>    terms of what goes on the FS.
> 2) Can I just put that stuff on my KS boot
>    CDROM and use the same CDROM as a KS boot
>    CDROM and a driver CDROM?
> 3) I'm assuming the only other way to make
>    drivers available is by rebuilding the kernel
>    that goes on the KS CDROM.  Or can I just add
>    them as I would in a live FS, under something
>    like /lib/modules/2.4.21-27.0.2.EL/kernel/drivers/net/ ?
>
> If there's a web site that covers this, please
> point me to it!

You can interrupt the installation & get to a console shell via
[CTRL-ALT] F1-F6, from there you can mount other devices & disks which
may allow you to install the drivers you need. You can mount a driver
floppy/cd image.iso in loopback mode. There are also Network and
Automated custom installs via KickStart which may help in your situation.

Network Install HOWTO: Redhat Client Install
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Network-Install-HOWTO-7.html

RHEL-3 Installation Guide
https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-3-Manual/x8664-multi-install-guide/
RHEL-3 Installation Guide - Preparing for a Network Installation
https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-3-Manual/x8664-multi-install-guide/s1-steps-network-installs.html
RHEL-3 Installation Guide - Using a Driver Image During Installation
https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-3-Manual/x8664-multi-install-guide/ap-driverdisk.html#S2-DRIVERDISK-USING

Fedora Core 5 - Adding Hardware Support with Driver Disks
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/fedora-install-guide-en/fc5/sn-bootoptions-hardware.html

RHEL-4 SAG - Kickstart Installations
https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/sysadmin-guide/s1-kickstart2-file.html
RHEL-4 SAG - Creating Kickstart Boot Media & Making the Kickstart File
Available on the Network
https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/sysadmin-guide/s1-kickstart2-putkickstarthere.html

System Installation Suite - SourceForge.net
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sisuite/
http://www.systemimager.org/relatedprojects/
http://oscar.openclustergroup.org/

--
Art Wildman - NWS JAX FL. - http://www.srh.noaa.gov/jax
"I could calculate your chances of survival...but you won't like it."