SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2006

From:
Miles O'Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miles O'Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2006 12:49:03 -0500
We're still stuck with SL3 because of app support.
More and more we're needing drivers that aren't
there by default.  But a driver diskette is no
longer an option, partly because of size, but
mostly because some of the compute farm systems
don't have room for a floppy (and the USB drivers
aren't there).

I haven't been able to find anything definitive,
so I'm asking here.

1) What does a driver CDROM looks like?  I'm
   hoping it's just like a driver diskette in
   terms of what goes on the FS.
2) Can I just put that stuff on my KS boot
   CDROM and use the same CDROM as a KS boot
   CDROM and a driver CDROM?
3) I'm assuming the only other way to make
   drivers available is by rebuilding the kernel
   that goes on the KS CDROM.  Or can I just add
   them as I would in a live FS, under something
   like /lib/modules/2.4.21-27.0.2.EL/kernel/drivers/net/ ?

If there's a web site that covers this, please
point me to it!

Thanks,
Miles