SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2006

From:
Wayne Betts <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wayne Betts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2006 21:10:10 -0400
Hi SL'ers,

Does anyone currently have VRVS working with mbone (even audio only) on
SL 3.x?  The whole thing goes fine until I try to connect mbone tools --
then it complains about not finding libasound.so.2, which doesn't seem
to exist in any of the included yum repos.  I did find libasound2 RPMs
in the CERN Linux site that have a file with that name in them, and I
naively installed the highest version (without any errors), but
subsequent attempts to use mbone froze up the system completely.  No
Numlock LED activity, no ping response, etc.  I had fun with that a
couple of times before removing the libasound2 rpm and back to square
1.  Then I switched the jre plugin to version to 1.5.0-5 and 1.5.0-6
without any success, though in a very puzzling case, at least once with
one of the newer jre's it didn't complain about the libasound, and the
small RAT audio window appeared before the system froze up, but in all
subsequent attempts, it went back to complaining about missing
libasound.so.2.

If you have VRVS running with mbone, could you let me know if you have a
libasound.so.2 file and which rpm it came from, or what source code you
built from?  Maybe what JRE too?

Or any other ideas?  I'm stumped and quite frustrated. At some point in
the past ( 1-2 years ago?) I had VRVS working with a different SL3
machine, so I checked on that box and there is no libasound, though I
haven't dared try VRVS again on it, since I'd rather not freeze it up.

- Wayne