SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2006

From:
Miles O'Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miles O'Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 2006 09:06:50 -0500
We're using a new hardware platform, an Asus A8V-E/SE
mobo with a PowerColor X300 SE, an ATI-based PCI-e
video card.  The mobo has a Marvel ethernet adapter.
So after installing SL304 using a 3Com PCI-based NIC,
we needed to install Marvel and ATI drivers, remove
the 3Com and put the system into production.  Later we
will figure out how to build KS CDROMs with extra
drivers, but we needed these in production fast.

The test system installed a week ago was fine.  But
the first couple we tried this week barfed with this
message when we tried to install the ATI driver (the
ATI install script rebuilds the driver if it doesn't
know it has one matching your kernel):

|==========================
|initializing...
|cleaning...
|patching 'highmem.h'...
|probing for VMA API version...
|doing script based build for kernel 2.4.x and similar
|compiling './agpgart_be.c'...
|In file included from
|/lib/modules/2.4.21-27.0.2.EL/build/include/linux/module.h:21,
|                 from agpgart_be.c:105:
|/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:1:2: #error Modules should never use
|kernel-headers system headers,
|/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:2:2: #error but rather headers from an
|appropriate kernel-source package.
|/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:3:2: #error Change
|-I/usr/src/linux/include (or similar) to
|/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:4:2: #error -I/lib/modules/$(uname
|-r)/build/include
|/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:5:2: #error to build against the
|currently-running kernel.
|agpgart_be.c:6079: warning: `ati_gart_base' defined but not used
|compiling failed - object file was not generated
|[Error] Kernel Module : Failed to compile kernel module - please consult
|readme.

At this point, nothing we did would get the installation to allow
us to build the ATI driver.  And yes, we needed the ATI driver;
none of the OSS drivers support the features we need.

After a few reinstalls, someone found the problem.

If you install the Marvel ethernet driver prior to the ATI driver,
then the ATI driver will fail as above, and you have to start over.

If you install the ATI driver prior to the Marvell driver then it
all works.