SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2006

From:
Hannon bulk mail <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Hannon bulk mail <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Sep 2006 17:19:52 -0700
Hi, folks.  We recently installed SL 4.3 on a dual-Opteron system here:

# uname -a
Linux xxxxxxx.physics.ucdavis.edu 2.6.9-42.0.2.ELsmp #1 SMP Tue Aug 22 18:36:24 CDT 2006 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

We set the system up to be an NIS server:

    yum install ypserv
    service ypserv start

    /usr/lib64/yp/ypinit -m

The system is, so far, the only NIS server for its group of client
systems.

The installation seemed to go as expected, but we encountered a problem:
after a few minutes the server would lose its ypbinding to itself,
effectively causing NIS to stop working.

This happened without any message sent to /var/log, so far as we could
tell.

We noticed that it's possible to run ypserv in debug mode.  We decided
to do that in the hope of generating some error messages that could
help to solve the problem.

In debug mode the ypserv process does not run in the background: it
stays attached to the terminal from which it is started.

We were initially disappointed that we saw no error messages produced
even in debug mode.  Our disappointment was mitigated by the fact
that all the yp stuff seemed to work just fine in this mode.  We've had
it running in this mode now for about 48 hours without any sign of a
problem.

I suppose we could continue to run indefinitely in this mode, but we'd
at least like to understand what's going on.  If you have any ideas
about this, please pass 'em along to me.

Thanks.

					- Mike
--
Michael Hannon            mailto:[log in to unmask]
Dept. of Physics          530.752.4966