SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

September 2006

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 2006 14:37:27 -0500
Stephan Wiesand wrote:
> Hi Troy,
>
> On Fri, 15 Sep 2006, Troy Dawson wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I know the AFS bug with the new browsers is really a 'big lab' problem (any
>> lab big enough to use AFS for home space), but I was wondering what everyone
>> thought if I put the AFS fix into the generic S.L. mozilla based packages
>> (firefox, thunderbird, and seamonkey)?
>>
>> Do you think I should do that (generic S.L.)?  Or just patch Fermi's?
>
> We would certainly welcome having the fix in the SL packages. And if these
> are the only choices, from our point of view: please go ahead and do it.
>
> However, I think there's a third choice, cleaner and in line with SL
> traditions: put the fix into a tweek rpm. Maybe something like what
> the "official" flash-plugin rpm is doing:
>
>  - trigger on installations of firefox, thunderbird, seamonkey
>   - search /usr/lib{,64}/ for their install dirs
>   - copy over the fix script
>
> This would make the fix optional, retaining full binary compatibility with
> upstream for those who don't need the fix. And it's probably less work
> to maintain in the long run, since we'd have a single noarch rpm for all
> architectures and all [future] releases of SL, firefox, thunderbird, and
> seamonkey.
>
>> Also, from what I read, the fix is to put a script in
>> /usr/lib/<browser name and release>/init.d
>>
>> That looks like
>>
>> #!/bin/sh
>>
>> [ -e  $HOME/.mozilla/firefox/profiles.ini ] || exit 0
>>
>> for i in $(grep Path= $HOME/.mozilla/firefox/profiles.ini | sed s/Path=//); do
>>     [ ! -L $HOME/.mozilla/firefox/$i/lock -a -e
>> $HOME/.mozilla/firefox/$i/.parentlock ] &&
>>       rm -f $HOME/.mozilla/firefox/$i/.parentlock
>> done
>
> Yes, this has worked well here since we implemented it. It solves the
> problem, and I'm not aware of any ill effects. I don't remember exactly,
> but I think the filename has to start with "S", and the file has to be
> executable or end in ".sh". Anyway, our fix here uses "S01parentlock" and
> is mode 0755, and that works.
>
> Cheers,
> 	Stephan

Hi Stephan,
You are correct, this really should be a SL rpm.  I've been patching
rpm's for fermilab so much the past two week's I hadn't even thought of it.

I'll have those SL rpm's done soon, hopefully.

Oh, on a related note, we need a fix for this for Seamonkey.  I'm having
a hard time finding the user Path for seamonkey.  Does anyone have a
script like this that works with seamonkey?

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468