SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

September 2006

From:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 2006 21:11:02 +0200
Hi Troy,

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006, Troy Dawson wrote:

> Hello,
> I know the AFS bug with the new browsers is really a 'big lab' problem (any
> lab big enough to use AFS for home space), but I was wondering what everyone
> thought if I put the AFS fix into the generic S.L. mozilla based packages
> (firefox, thunderbird, and seamonkey)?
>
> Do you think I should do that (generic S.L.)?  Or just patch Fermi's?

We would certainly welcome having the fix in the SL packages. And if these
are the only choices, from our point of view: please go ahead and do it.

However, I think there's a third choice, cleaner and in line with SL
traditions: put the fix into a tweek rpm. Maybe something like what
the "official" flash-plugin rpm is doing:

 - trigger on installations of firefox, thunderbird, seamonkey
  - search /usr/lib{,64}/ for their install dirs
  - copy over the fix script

This would make the fix optional, retaining full binary compatibility with
upstream for those who don't need the fix. And it's probably less work
to maintain in the long run, since we'd have a single noarch rpm for all
architectures and all [future] releases of SL, firefox, thunderbird, and
seamonkey.

> Also, from what I read, the fix is to put a script in
> /usr/lib/<browser name and release>/init.d
>
> That looks like
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> [ -e  $HOME/.mozilla/firefox/profiles.ini ] || exit 0
>
> for i in $(grep Path= $HOME/.mozilla/firefox/profiles.ini | sed s/Path=//); do
>     [ ! -L $HOME/.mozilla/firefox/$i/lock -a -e
> $HOME/.mozilla/firefox/$i/.parentlock ] &&
>       rm -f $HOME/.mozilla/firefox/$i/.parentlock
> done

Yes, this has worked well here since we implemented it. It solves the
problem, and I'm not aware of any ill effects. I don't remember exactly,
but I think the filename has to start with "S", and the file has to be
executable or end in ".sh". Anyway, our fix here uses "S01parentlock" and
is mode 0755, and that works.

Cheers,
	Stephan

--
Stephan Wiesand
  DESY - DV -                     Phone:   +49 33762 7 7370