SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

September 2006

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2006 08:39:39 -0500
We just had a user where the

---
APP_FOLDER="\$HOME/.thunderbird"
find "\$APP_FOLDER" -noleaf -type d -maxdepth 1 -mindepth 1 | while read
i; do
---

section didn't work.  The problem was that their thunderbird directory
was at
$HOME/.thunderbird/default/<random>/

I hadn't had a problem on firefox or thunderbird with the original check
which was

----
APP_FOLDER="\$HOME/.thunderbird"
for i in $(grep Path= $APP_FOLDER/profiles.ini | sed s/Path=//); do
----

So I'm going to go back to that one for thunderbird and firefox, but
leave seamonkey the way it is.

Troy

Troy Dawson wrote:
> Stephan Wiesand wrote:
>> Hi Troy,

>>> Thanks for the 64bit solution, I had forgotten about that.
>>>
>>> About the test
>>>
>>> [ ! -a $line/<filename> ]
>>>
>>> It is just checking to see if the file is there.  If there is a file
>>> there, I am assuming that we don't want to mess with it.  I also
>>> figure that if the file is there, then the directory is there.
>>
>> But shouldn't that be "[ ! -e" instead? The above seems to always
>> evaluate to true. Maybe it's some black magic I don't get yet?
>>

> Ah ... it's from my "unix in a nutshell" book, the test conditions page.
>  But now that I double check, it says the this is a Korn shell option.
>  But it is the check for "file exists".
> Of course when I look through the man page, -e is for "file exists" and
> -a is for comparing two values.  Hmmm ... maybe when there isn't
> anything infront of the -a, it defaults back to checking if the file
> exists.  It works, but yes, I think sticking with the man page would be
> best.
>
>>> [ -d "$line" -a ! -e "$line/%{cleanscript}" ]
>>>
>>> Although your solution is more thorough, it just seems redundant,
>>> doing two checks instead of one (unless I'm reading it wrong).
>>
>> I agree it's a bit paranoid, but then this runs with root privileges,
>> and I wouldn't swear that the glob above will never ever return
>> anything weird, no matter under what circumstances. Also, I think
>> [ ! -e "$line/%{cleanscript}" ] is not a guarantee that $line exists
>> and is a directory, is it?
>>

> I think your right.  Let's go with your rpm as it stands.
> I'm going to recompile and resign it, so that it's consistant with the
> same key and build machine as the rest of the errata.
>
> Troy
>
>> Cheers,
>>     Stephan

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468