SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

September 2006

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2006 11:56:12 -0500
Stephan Wiesand wrote:
> Hi Troy,
>
> On Tue, 19 Sep 2006, Troy Dawson wrote:
>
>> Stephan Wiesand wrote:
>>> Hi Troy,
>>>
>>> there were still a couple of minor problems. For example, it's broken
>>> on 64bit. And I really didn't understand the [ ! -a <filename> ] tests.
>>>

>> Thanks for the 64bit solution, I had forgotten about that.
>>
>> About the test
>>
>> [ ! -a $line/<filename> ]
>>
>> It is just checking to see if the file is there.  If there is a file
>> there, I am assuming that we don't want to mess with it.  I also
>> figure that if the file is there, then the directory is there.
>
> But shouldn't that be "[ ! -e" instead? The above seems to always
> evaluate to true. Maybe it's some black magic I don't get yet?

Ah ... it's from my "unix in a nutshell" book, the test conditions page.
  But now that I double check, it says the this is a Korn shell option.
  But it is the check for "file exists".
Of course when I look through the man page, -e is for "file exists" and
-a is for comparing two values.  Hmmm ... maybe when there isn't
anything infront of the -a, it defaults back to checking if the file
exists.  It works, but yes, I think sticking with the man page would be
best.

>> [ -d "$line" -a ! -e "$line/%{cleanscript}" ]
>>
>> Although your solution is more thorough, it just seems redundant,
>> doing two checks instead of one (unless I'm reading it wrong).
>
> I agree it's a bit paranoid, but then this runs with root privileges,
> and I wouldn't swear that the glob above will never ever return anything
> weird, no matter under what circumstances. Also, I think
> [ ! -e "$line/%{cleanscript}" ] is not a guarantee that $line exists and
> is a directory, is it?

I think your right.  Let's go with your rpm as it stands.
I'm going to recompile and resign it, so that it's consistant with the
same key and build machine as the rest of the errata.

Troy

> Cheers,
>     Stephan
>
>>> I've put up a a slightly hacked version here:
>>>   http://www-zeuthen.desy.de/~wiesand/parentlock/
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>     Stephan

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468