SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

September 2006

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2006 09:46:04 -0500
Stephan Wiesand wrote:
> Hi Troy,
>
> there were still a couple of minor problems. For example, it's broken on
> 64bit. And I really didn't understand the [ ! -a <filename> ] tests.

Thanks for the 64bit solution, I had forgotten about that.

About the test

[ ! -a $line/<filename> ]

It is just checking to see if the file is there.  If there is a file
there, I am assuming that we don't want to mess with it.  I also figure
that if the file is there, then the directory is there.

[ -d "$line" -a ! -e "$line/%{cleanscript}" ]

Although your solution is more thorough, it just seems redundant, doing
two checks instead of one (unless I'm reading it wrong).

> I've put up a a slightly hacked version here:
>   http://www-zeuthen.desy.de/~wiesand/parentlock/
>
> Cheers,
>     Stephan
>
> On Mon, 18 Sep 2006, Troy Dawson wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> This rpm is designed to fix the "Home Area in AFS" parentlock fix.
>>
>> The problem is triggered when your home area is in AFS, and you use
>> firefox, thunderbird, and/or seamonkey.  Not always, but often, when
>> you stop and restart firefox (or thunderbird, or seamonkey) the lock
>> file, called parentlock, is not removed.  This makes it hard to start
>> up your browser again.
>>
>> Ftp:
>> ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/30rolling/testing/i386/RPMS/browsers/SL_firefox_parentlock_fix-1.0-3.noarch.rpm
>>
>> ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/40rolling/testing/i386/RPMS/browsers/SL_firefox_parentlock_fix-1.0-3.noarch.rpm
>>

>> Yum - S.L. 4.x
>>  yum --enablerepo=sl-testing install SL_firefox_parentlock_fix
>>
>> The rpm has already been tested on several computers, and we believe
>> it works well.  But we would like others to test it more before it
>> goes out.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Troy

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468