SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2006

From:
John Haggerty <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haggerty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2006 12:30:26 -0400
Thanks for everyone's timely and very helpful advice.  I tried first the
Twinview option of the nvidia driver, and that seems to be exactly what
I wanted without much fuss.

All I really had to do to accomplish what I wanted was:

- download the latest nvidia driver installer ala Troy (there is a new
version on the web since his posting)

- run "nvidia-xconfig --twinview" at which point the two monitors
worked, but didn't seem to work at full resolution

- modify the XF86Config file so that

Option "MetaModes" "1600x1200, 1600x1200"

gave me a nice high resolution display on both monitors.

Troy Dawson wrote:
> I have to say, I'm rather surprised that nobody has said to download
> nvidia's driver and read their documentation.
> There is the way that makes the monitors think they are just one big
> monitor (although there are two backgrounds).  In this documentation,
> that is called "TwinView".  This is nice because you can drag your
> windows from one window to the other, or even halfway between.
> The problem with this is when you don't have monitors with the same
> resolution.  Then things get really odd going from one screen to the
> other when your screens don't have the same resolution.
> TwinView is talked about in the documentation, I thought it was pretty
> good documentation for that.

John Haggerty
email: [log in to unmask]
voice/fax: 631 344 2286/4592