SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2006

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 2006 15:17:34 -0500
Hello,
Tonight you will see some errata go out that might look a little
different.  It is the mozilla SWITCH.TO.SEAMONKEY rpm's.  They are going
out for both S.L. 3.0.x and 4.x.

**NOTE: YOUR AVERAGE USER CAN IGNORE THIS E-MAIL.  EVERYTHING WORKS
AUTOMATICALLY.  YOU ONLY HAVE TO EXIT AND THEN RESTART MOZILLA***

Since these packages are a little different I figure I'd give you a
little heads up and explain what they are doing.

SeaMonkey is an open source Web browser, advanced email and newsgroup
client, IRC chat client, and HTML editor.  It basically is the same as
the Mozilla Suite.

The Mozilla Foundation has discontinued support for the Mozilla Suite,
and so we are switching everything Mozilla over to SeaMonkey.

The new mozilla packages, are only placeholders, that make yum suck in
the correct seamonkey packages.  For a period of time, you will see both
mozilla and seamonkey packages, but you will really be running seamonkey.
The next time there is a security errata for seamonkey, yum will
automatically clean out the mozilla rpm's.

This has been tested on a wide variety of machines and configurations.
So far everything has just worked.  The only time it has not worked was
when a user had their web browser still open.  They had to exit mozilla
completely, and then start it up again.

Note2: You do not have to type 'seamonkey', you can still type 'mozilla'
if you wish.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468