SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2006

Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2006 17:34:59 -0500
On Wed, 23 Aug 2006, John Haggerty wrote:

> We are running a substantial cluster of SL3.0.5 machines as part of a data
> acquisition system, and we thought it would be nice to upgrade the
> interactive machines we use to control it all, so we bought a couple of nice
> dual Opteron machines (I think they sport the Navion-T PCI express
> motherboard) and a PNY Verto GeForce 7900 GT PCIe x16 graphics adapter for
> supporting two monitors.  We'd really like the same software environment as
> the rest of the cluster, but there are some early indications that this
> configuration is a little too far out for 3.0.5.
>
> Anyone with experience or advice or pointers about where to look for help?

I'd like to hear some discussion on this as well.  The one thing I'd worry
about is the graphics card.  The general impression I get from my readings
is that the vendor's driver is not as good as the nv driver that is
delivered with a stock SL distro.  The NV driver explicitly lists support
up to the 6600.  The newer 7x00 are not listed.  I've ordered a 7300 and
gambling that the nv driver will support the card.