SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2006

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 2006 08:54:51 -0500
Connie Sieh wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Aug 2006, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
>
>> Connie Sieh wrote:

>>> It will change your yum-conf to point to the 4x area vs the 43 area.  The
>>> net effect of this is that when we release 44 and beyond yum will
>>> automatically upgrade you to that newer version.
>>>
>>> I will let Troy answer more as he wrote that rpm.
>>
>> However, will it let yum provide the 4.3 errata and not the 4.4 beta updates?
>>

> It will change all occurances of 43 in the yum.repo.d to 4x , 4x at the
> moment is a symbolic link to 43.  But soon it will be a symbolic link to
> 44.  Note that errata are released to all 4 type trees.
>
> -Connie

Hello,

The yum-conf-4x rpm was made so that people could stay with the latest
releases, without having to do any extra reconfiguring.  You're machine
will always be at the latest stable 4x release.

As Connie said, 4x is really just a link to the latest stable release.
So currently 4x is pointing to 43.  That includes it's errata, fastbugs,
everything.
When 44 is declared stable, then that link will be moved over, and that
night, your autoyum is going to convert you over to 44.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468