SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2006

From:
Jan Iven <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 2006 10:30:30 +0200
On Mon, 2006-08-21 at 10:07 +0200, Fabrice Charlier wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just a little question:
>
> Are they a support for XFS file system in the SL release 3.

Not in the base release, but there are XFS-patched kernels (e.g the "SL"
contrib directories, or "CERN" kernels at
http://linuxsoft.cern.ch/cern/slc30X/i386/yum/updates/repodata/repoview/SystemEnvironment.Kernel.group.html)

Please remember that XFS in the 2.4 kernel series is an ancient &
(largely) unmaintained branch of the code, it has some known issues.

> It's possible to create XFS partitions if we use the kickstart installation
> method?

Not that I know of (there are some patches to anaconda to enable this,
but I don't think we use them). We use XFS mainly on data partitions,
not on the system disk, so it is not a major issue for us.

Regards
Jan