SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2006

From:
Karanbir Singh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karanbir Singh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2006 01:44:31 +0100
Michael Mansour wrote:
>> I suggest you uses the source rpm form Fedora. This will work supposing
>> there is no requirement of packages from higher version than in SL4/RHEL4.
>> Note that in this case you will lost the support on this particular package
>> as it will block any errata/upgrade coming from Scientific Linux.
>>

> ftp://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/5/source/SRPMS/php-5.1.2-5.src.rpm
>> Rebuilt it :
>>
>>     rpm --rebuild php-5.1.2-5.src.rpm
>>
>> Then install the generated packages :
>>
>>     rpm -Uvh /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/php-*

or you could just use the php-5 rpms from the CentOSPlus repository... (
more info at http://wiki.centos.org/Repositories ) Saves you the hassle
of building each time there is an update upstream, and you can share the
bugtracking / reporting / fixing with the other people using the same repo.

> Either that or wait for SL5 which should be out shortly after RHEL5 (due next
> month). Overall it's a couple of months wait really :), but if you're in a
> rush, the above should work.

its only the first public beta thats expected sometime soon ( in the
next 4 - 8 weeks ), EL5 upstream isnt expected to release till End of
this year / Jan 2007.

If you have info that might indicate otherwise, I am sure lots of us
would like to know of that.