SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2006

From:
Art Wildman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 2006 22:43:12 -0400
Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> Since I think the topic is a bit scientific, I thought I should drop
> an email.
>
> There is a native GNU/Linux version of Google Earth version 4, and it
> installed and runs OK on my SL 4.3 x86 machine. It is very nice, and I
> think some may find it useful.
>

> http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html
>
> http://earth.google.com/

As a scientific community, I would presume all GIS Linux applications
interest us. May I recommend supporting a Linux port of NASA WorldWind...
http://www.worldwindcentral.com/wiki/Mac_and_Linux_Port_Collaboration
...without beating a dead horse & starting another comparison thread
(there are many already).
http://lwn.net/Articles/187691/
http://www.worldwindcentral.com/wiki/Google_Earth_comparison

"While World Wind is open source (released under the terms of the NASA
Open Source Agreement), Google Earth is closed source, with all its data
(3D buildings, maps, street plans) and code being copyrighted." -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_World_Wind

http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/nasa-exp/

-Art@JAX