SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2006

From:
Urs Beyerle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Urs Beyerle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2006 23:46:18 +0200
Hi,

Because it took my some hours to solve this problem, I just post the
solution here.

Our pine users had problems to send emails containing German umlauts
(like φόδ) to some mail servers (for example web.de), but not to all.
The mails came just back with the error "Undeliverable".
The message contains a content type that is not supported
    <XXX.psi.ch #5.6.1 smtp;554 5.6.1 Body type not supported by Remote
Host>

The problem was the "feature" enable-8bit-esmtp-negotiation in
/etc/pine.conf. I had to disable/remove "enable-8bit-esmtp-negotiation"
in order that all mail servers accept emails with umlauts.

I don't know, if this is worth a bugfix/update of pine?
Maybe this is also related to our "mailsend"-server and does not affect
everybody.

Urs