SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2006

From:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2006 22:04:00 +0200
Hi Jarek,

On Mon, 7 Aug 2006, Jaroslaw Polok wrote:

> Stephan Wiesand wrote:
> > Hallo Urs,
> >
> > On Fri, 4 Aug 2006, Urs Beyerle wrote:
> >
> >> Hallo,
> >>
> >> This looks nice!
> >>
> >> Since I had the "lock problem" several time today (thunderbird and firefox) -
> >> and it is really annoying - I will roll out this for testing at PSI for
> >> firefox and thunderbird.
> >>
> >> Is seamonkey also affected by the "lock problem"?
> >
> > Yes it is :-(  "Improvements" all over the place...
>

> Hmm.. We still have not seen complaints about that problem here at CERN
> (firefox/thunderbird/seamonkey deployed since almost a week now ..)
> .. must be holiday time or our afs clients are really not in 'right
> mood'  ;-) That's to say we are using a little bit modified 1.4 client
> ... although nothing indicates it shall fix the problem in question ...

I envy you. I started seamonkey *once* today (after discovering yum had
replaced mozilla by it without having been asked to do it... worse, it
replaced mozilla.i386 by seamonkey.i386 *and* .x86_64, breaking the
functionality I had mozilla installed for since that needs a java plugin),
and the very second time I tried it told me, guess what, "another copy is
already running...".

I'm so glad Urs confirmed that the problem is real.

Maybe your client is immune to the problem. Meaning you'd have an AFS
client that's POSIX compliant w.r.t. fcntl locks on deleted files, if I
got it right. I gave up extracting the changes from your SRPM last time I
looked at it, but maybe I should really try harder ;-)

Cheers,
	Stephan

--
Stephan Wiesand
  DESY - DV -                     Phone:   +49 33762 7 7370