SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2006

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2006 09:04:49 -0500
[log in to unmask] wrote:
> I tried loading Sci-Linux by attempting to boot from the first iso disc
> I burned to CD-R. However, I found out the disc was unable to boot. Yes,
> I had the boot sequence adjusted to boot from the CD drive first. It
> failed to do so. I just got an error message stating the device was not
> bootable. Did anybody else have this problem? How did you correct it?
>
> Thank You for Responding:
>
> Andrew Stallard

The first disk IS bootable, or at least should be if burned correctly.
One common problem people have had is that they burn the *.iso file to
the CD as a file, instead of as iso file (which is really a file
system).  The way to check for this is to put your CD into a computer
after it's booted up, then mount and look at the CD as you would a
normal CD.
If it only has one file <filename>.iso, then it was burned incorrectly.
If it has a bunch of files and directories, then it was burned
correctly, and we have to figure out what other sort of problem there is.
Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468