SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2006

Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2006 14:46:32 -0500
Chris,

My interest in the wide LCDs actually began with looking into running a
desktop with dual monitors.  The wide screen was meant as an alternative
to dual CRT heads.  The desktops are data acquisition monitoring and
analysis stations so the goal was extra screen real estate.

Dual monitors seemed the way to go but I did not get a definitive recipe
for this.  Some suggested 2 video cards; some, a video card with 2 ports.
The video card with 2 ports was conceptually straightforward but
expensive.  I'm confused by 2 video cards---not sure how the video space
is consolidated.

Hence, a wide screen.  It's not as much screen real estate as 2 CRTs but the
consensus around the lunch table is that the stations would look 21st
century and, more importantly, "sexy". ;)

Now, I see you've done both.  Can you tell me something more about your
setup?  I dont see any indication on the web that an X600 has 2 ports.
Words of advice?  How you would do things differently?

Ken