SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

August 2006

From:
Jaroslaw Polok <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jaroslaw Polok <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2006 09:15:45 +0200
Hi

>> Troy, anyway, I've been feeling increasingly uneasy about the security
>> situation regarding firefox for weeks now. Are you going to provide an
>> "official SL" backport of 1.5 to SL3, and if, is there an ETA? I wouldn't
>> care if there were rough edges left. If you say you can't do this anytime
>> soon, I'd probably roll out my own build (and: yes, I'd be willing to
>> share it with the other SL folks, and: no, I couldn't provide any support
>> for it), or maybe the CERN packages [Jarek, is there any reason why I
>> would not want to do this?], or even the binary from mozilla.org.

The CERN package is just what came from RH, rebuild: nothing
CERN-specific there...

> Upstream has released. While it is not listed as a requirement via
> RPM.. you will need to update to the latest freetype also for PANGO to
> work correctly on your system. [Fonts go crazy and firefox will crash
> otherwise.]

From what I see here:

On SL(C)4: pango-1.6.0-9,freetype-2.1.9-1.rhel4.4
both firefox and thunderbird rebuilt OK and seem to be
working fine, except one problem: the KDE/GNOME menu
entry for thunderbird is gone (there is no more
/usr/bin/mozilla-thunderbird it was pointing to)

On SL(C)3: pango-1.2.5-5,freetype-2.1.4-4.0.rhel3.2
thunderbird rebuilt as-is, firefox rebuilt with
--disable-pango, both seem to work too...

To be noted: if it starts crashing for you, make sure
that BOTH firefox AND thunderbird are not running when
you apply the update and start one of these for the first
time..

Cheers

Jarek
__