SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

July 2006

From:
Urs Beyerle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Urs Beyerle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2006 22:09:05 +0200
Hello Troy

So far we have only tested the oracle version. Somehow I "believe" more
in Oracle than Dell, sorry ;-)
Both firewire codes differ from the original firewire code in the 2.6.9
kernel. So there is some hope that they are more stable.

In contrast to the "Dell code",  using the "Oracle code" not all
firewire kernel modules can be compiled against the RHEL 2.6.9 kernel.
- ieee1394.o, pcilynx.o, ohci1394.o, raw1394.o, sbp2.o can be built
- video1394.o, dv1394.o, eth1394.o, amdtp.o, cmp.o break with an error

We have added a patch to allow the build of the video1394.o kernel
module (see the new rpms below)
I guess dv1394.o, eth1394.o, amdtp.o, cmp.o are not really used ??

Our main goal was to provide support for cameras connected over
firewire, since we have many cameras at our beamlines.
The response from out users is very positive so far - the systems are
now running for more than a week without any problems. And they don't
have to replug the camera after booting, as it was the case with SL3.

However, we have hardly tested firewire harddisks - I hope to find some
time next week.

Concerning the rpms: they can still be found at

http://linux.web.psi.ch/dist/scientific/43/beta/

firewire-1286-4.sl4.psi.src.rpm
firewire-1286-4.sl4.psi.i686.rpm
kernel-module-firewire-2.6.9-34.0.1.EL-1286-4.sl4.psi.i686.rpm
kernel-module-firewire-2.6.9-34.0.1.ELsmp-1286-4.sl4.psi.i686.rpm
firewire-1286-4.sl4.psi.x86_64.rpm
kernel-module-firewire-2.6.9-34.0.1.EL-1286-4.sl4.psi.x86_64.rpm
kernel-module-firewire-2.6.9-34.0.1.ELsmp-1286-4.sl4.psi.x86_64.rpm

As already mentioned I have added "video1394.o" and the firewire*.rpm,
which contains rules for udev:
/etc/udev/rules.d/40-firewire.rules

If somebody has time, please go ahead and test these rpms.

Cheers,

    Urs

>>> http://oss.oracle.com/projects/firewire/files/source/