SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

July 2006

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jul 2006 08:48:57 -0500
Andy Buckley wrote:

> [re. numarray, numeric, numpy]
>
>>> So it sounds like, I could put in all three, and whichever ones
>>> users want, they can install.
>>

>>    I think so.   I've installed Numeric and numarray on the same
>> machine and there was no conflict.   I imagine it is the same for
>> numpy but haven't yet tried.
>

> I'm not quite sure what incompatibilities there are, but numpy appears
> to be intended as the dominant version from now on. See
> http://scipy.org/NumPy for information. There's a module in NumPy which
> will apparently convert existing Python Numeric code to work with NumPy.
>
> Having NumPy, SciPy (www.scipy.org) and matplotlib (matplotlib.sf.net)
> in SL would be very useful: they're certainly becoming widespread
> numerical processing packages these days.
>
> Andy

Hi Andy,
I have tried my best to get scipy to recompile, but it depends on Atlas,
which I have NOT been able to get to recompile.  Maybe I'm grabbing the
wrong version of Atlas, but scipy, I am quite sure I'm just getting the
generic version.

I've seen matplot go by a couple times in conversations.  Any good
places for an rpm for that?

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468